What is SIDC?
The SummerTech Internship and Development Course
(SIDC) is a school year-long internship and development program designed to advance computer science students by accelerating their coding or new media skills and become SummerTech and Coditum instructors. SIDC participants will experience the following outcomes:
- Advancement of Skills
- Communication Skills
- 45 Hours of teaching and explaining computer science concepts
- Guiding students through projects
- Instant feedback
- Time Management Skills
- Responsibility and commitment to your students promotes time management skills
- Showing up and being your best for your students promotes integrity
- Success promotes confidence in your craft and communication skills
- Putting other’s needs ahead of your own promotes maturity
- Crystallization of Knowledge through Teaching
- Teaching reinforces concepts
- Conversational learning is immersive and creates association
Components of SIDC
SIDC students will receive the following:
- Advanced Skills Classes in your desired focus (Python, Java, Animation, or 3D Modeling). Students will continue their studies in weekly group classes taught by our expert instructors.
- Teaching Skills Sessions. Interns will observe and assist with their mentors and act as Teacher Assistants in weekly sessions until they are assigned their own students.
- Volunteer Teaching. Interns will be assigned to their own students from a partnering outreach program for fifteen teaching sessions. These sessions can also be included for any needed community service hours.
- Teaching Skills Classes. SIDC participants can attend a Teaching Skills class provided by our expert instructors and alumni.
- Mentorship and Written Feedback. SIDC participants will receive written feedback from their mentors, providing them with areas to improve and highlighting successes.
- Certificate of Completion. SIDC participants will receive a Certificate of Completion to indicate they are ready for employment and to meet the challenges of being a SummerTech and/or Coditum instructor.
SIDC Participant Time Commitment Breakdown
- Fifteen (15) Teacher Development Sessions 1.5 hours per week
- Observation and assisting
- Teaching your own students
- 22.5 Hours total between September and June
- Thirty (30) Advanced Skills Classes 1.5 hour per session
- Fifteen (15) Volunteer Teaching Sessions 1 hour per session
- Work with your own students from an outreach program
- 15 Hours total between January and June
- Hours can be counted as needed community service hours
- Excellent resume addition
- Optional 90 minute Teaching Skills Classes
- Lecture-style class
- Provided by current and alumni expert SummerTech/Coditum instructors
- Total time commitment: Approximately 82 Hours between September and June
Scheduling and Flexibility
- Group classes offered
- Weekday afternoons
- Many options for skills classes
- Can book by instructor or day/time
- Package of 30 Classes
- Use like debit card
- Book by day, time, or instructor
Find Our More about SIDC
Wednesday, July 20th, @ 7:30pm